What is Web Analytics?
Web Analytics is the methodological study of online/offline patterns and trends. It is a technique that you can employ to collect, measure, report, and analyze your website data. It is normally carried out to analyze the performance of a website and optimize its web usage.
We use web analytics to track key metrics and analyze visitors’ activity and traffic flow. It is a tactical approach to collect data and generate reports.
Importance of Web Analytics
We need Web Analytics to assess the success rate of a website and its associated business. Using Web Analytics, we can −
- Assess web content problems so that they can be rectified
- Have a clear perspective of website trends
- Monitor web traffic and user flow
- Demonstrate goals acquisition
- Figure out potential keywords
- Identify segments for improvement
- Find out referring sources
Web Analytics Process
The primary objective of carrying out Web Analytics is to optimize the website in order to provide better user experience. It provides a data-driven report to measure visitors’ flow throughout the website.
Take a look at the following illustration. It depicts the process of web analytics.
- Set the business goals.
- To track the goal achievement, set the Key Performance Indicators(KPI).
- Collect correct and suitable data.
- To extract insights, Analyze data.
- Based on assumptions learned from the data analysis, Test alternatives.
- Based on either data analysis or website testing, Implement insights.
Web Analytics is an ongoing process that helps in attracting more traffic to a site and thereby, increasing the Return on Investment.