Grav is a flat-file based content management system. This system does not use database to store the content, instead it uses a text (.txt) file or a markdown (.md) file to store the content. The flat-file part refers to the readable text and it handles the content in an easy way which can be simple for a developer.
Grav was developed by the Rocket Theme team. It runs on PHP and is an open-source CMS like Joomla, WordPress or Drupal.
Grav is now the fastest flat-file content management system. It is easier to publish and manage content with Grav. It allows a developer to handle content very easily by storing content in files (such as text or markdown files) rather than in database.
Grav helps you build a simple, manageable and a quick site. It costs less than the database driven CMS and is useful with I/O for file handling, when you don’t have enough resources.
Features of Grav
- It is a fast, easy and powerful flat-file web platform.
- It is used to build websites with no extra tools or html knowledge.
- It uses text file or markdown file to store the content.
- It doesn’t use database, so this mitigates the instances of bottlenecking.
- It uses PHP based template provided by Twig which is parsed directly into PHP that makes it fast.
- It is not based on database CMS, so it’s very easy to install and will be ready to use when you upload the files to the server.
- It uses Markdown text files to make things easy. Using this, the content is dynamically converted to HTML and displayed in the browser.
- In case of security, Grav doesn’t have admin area and database. So there is no chance of hacking into account or in the database to access the important data.
- You can easily backup all the files to keep the backup copy of your website, since there is no database to backup.
- It is a piece of software which doesn’t require more time to learn.
- You might come across instances where unauthorized users may access your content from the files directly as there is no database for the files.
- It is difficult to build complex websites using Grav CMS.