What is Foundation?
Foundation began as an internal style guide, built by ZURB in 2008. ZURB is a product design company in Campbell, California. It released Foundation 2.0 as open source in October 2011. The latest version of Foundation is 6.1.1, released in December 2015.
Why Use Foundation?
- It provides faster development by using Sass compiler, which works much faster than default compiler.
- It enriches your website with pricing tables, switches, joyride, range sliders, lightbox and many more.
- It comes with development package like Grunt and Libsass for faster coding and control.
- Foundation for sites provides you with HTML, CSS and JS to quickly build websites.
- Email framework provides you with responsive HTML emails, which can be read on any device.
- Foundation for Apps allows you to build fully responsive web apps.
- It provides responsive design, which serves all types of devices.
- It is optimized for mobile devices and truly supports mobile first approach.
- It provides HTML templates, which are customizable and extensible.
- It is easy to learn, once you have the basic understanding of HTML and CSS.
- You can use Foundation freely as it is an open source.
- It provides you a bunch of templates, which helps you in start developing the website right away.
- Foundation supports preprocessors like SASS and Compass, which makes development faster.
- Because of the popularity of the Twitter Bootstrap, the community support for Twitter Bootstrap is better than Foundation.
- It may take some time for beginners to learn and take advantage of the preprocessor support.
- Lack of wider support like QA sites and forums for fixing issues.
- Foundation has less themes compared to others